carbonet.net Forum Index carbonet.net
Welcome to the Carbonet Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Algae in famenian-tournais reef carbonates

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dmitriy Volkov
Forum Message Poster

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2007 09:54    Post subject: Algae in famenian-tournais reef carbonates Reply with quote

Hello again, colleagues!
At the moment I'm researching the origin of Menzelinsky reef (or biogerm) located in the northeast of Tatarstan republic (Volga-Ural oil province). Many lances was broken over the problem of Volga-Ural "reefs", nobody knows their real place in a wide number of organogenous carbonate structures. They were considered to be mainly algal biogermic hills with mild slopes located on earlier basement's highs. But recent discovery of Menzelinskoe oilfield breaks such stereotypes. There aren't defined basement high under it, instead, the reef located in the most submerged depression zone of Kama-Kinel channel system. Next, the structure is very high, about 400 m (actual amplitude) with plane diameter of about 1500 m, so it doesn't seem to be a simple biogerm.
Lithologically it seems to be strongly recrystallized mostly algal carbonate, but in almost all thin plates I 've found well rounded organic debri cemented with crystal calcite (or dolomite). There aren't single continuous "skeleton" of organic remains on their intravital positions. Almost all carbonates are detrital.
So, my first question. I've made a lot of photos of these biogerm carbonates. Look at the pictures below. There we can see the debris of echinodermatous organism (crinoid, I think) with thin film of non-transparent pelitic calcite on it. It seems to me that it could be a growth of Rhodophyta after the crinoid's death. What do you think?

http://public.fotki.com/Ammonite/2007/lithology/micro/well-895/plate-895_78/0225p.html
http://public.fotki.com/Ammonite/2007/lithology/micro/well-895/plate-895_78/0225x.html

(the height of each image is about 5 mm)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    carbonet.net Forum Index -> Palaeontology All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: